Labels

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nasty river: 15K GTD final table

This guy Vanje was the only LAG left in the final few tables. He had accumulated tons of chips, raising close to 50% of hands, against an extremely tight field comprised mainly of Broomcorn's Uncles.

When he limped in, I elected to complete my SB with J♦T♦; then immediately shoved around Quadruple-Pot, preferring to take it down on the J♦9♥8♥ flop than to race. My holding was favored against almost all plausible holdings (even big overpairs, in case Vanje happened to be trapping). 

True to a loose nature, he tanked briefly and called with K♥5♥, the very top of his "limp/chase-down" range. It turns out to be nearly a perfect break-even chip decision: calling off ~20K to win ~28K is equivalent to 42.2% pot odds. Whether or not it was a smart move to jeopardize so many chips on a draw - that is a question I leave to the endgame theoretical gurus... He decided to "roll the dice" with his chip leadership and 43% equity in the hand, hoping (possibly praying) to destroy me, which I will take as a compliment.

Just another one of those nasty rivers!

1 comment:

  1. Well played, I'm sure you'll win a big one soon!
    Just remember my modest record still stands at 2,200$ (1st place Cake 10,000)

    ReplyDelete